KG Ananthakrishnan, Director General, OPPI shares his views on the COVID-19 situation
"Best steps to be taken to tackle the COVID-19 outbreak-
- Reassuring availability of adequate supplies of medicines for those in need of them. Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India confirms that currently its member companies have adequate inventory in India and efforts are being made to step up further production.
- From the outset of the epidemic, global research-based pharmaceutical companies have reviewed their drug and vaccine portfolios to see if there is any research that could be of help. This analysis involved scientists assessing the companies’ libraries for potentially useful assets that could help with the development of new or repurposed treatments or vaccines to fight against the novel coronavirus: Relevant assets include diagnostics and biomarkers, approved therapies or compounds in development which could be repurposed for use in treating patients with the coronavirus. In addition, these companies are undertaking to identify any ACE inhibitors, protease inhibitors or immunotherapies that could be relevant in the context of novel coronavirus.
- Health & Safety of Employees: In line with the advisories issued by the Government and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare on COVID-19, OPPI members are tracking the updates and implementing them on a regular basis.
- In view of addressing the safety, well-being and good health of employees, partners and other stakeholders, members are committed to following the general precautionary measures that include the universal or standard precautions of general hygiene; maintaining a social distancing of 2 meters or more and avoiding mass gatherings. Members have postponed internal and external meetings, events & gatherings, and travels, until further notice.
- When new treatments and vaccines get approved they need to be available and affordable for patients."
KG Ananthakrishnan, Director General, Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI)