Max Healthcare, a leading healthcare services provider and GE Healthcare, a unit of General Electric Company (NYSE: GE), today announced a strategic partnership to advance the standard of cancer care in India through collaborative research and co-creation of futuristic, multifaceted cancer management solutions.
An MoU was signed to this effect by Dr. Ajay Bakshi, MD & CEO, Max Healthcare and Ms. Terri Bresenham, President & CEO, GE Healthcare South Asia, in the presence of Mr Analjit Singh, Chairman, Max India Group; Mr John Dineen, President & CEO, GE Healthcare; Mr. Rahul Khosla, Managing Director, Max India Ltd.; Mr Banmali Agrawala, President & CEO, GE South Asia; and Dr Harit Chaturvedi, Chairman Oncology, Max Healthcare
Speaking at the occasion, Dr Ajay Bakshi, MD & CEO, Max Healthcare said "There is an alarming increase in the incidence of cancer in India. Inadequate screening and a severe shortage of oncologists and other trained staff further compound the problem. With advanced healthcare infrastructure and the availability of one of the largest pools of clinical talent in the country, comprising of 45 oncologists and 220 trained oncology support staff, Max Healthcare is uniquely positioned to partner with GE Healthcare to set new standards for cancer care by innovating on clinical protocols, technology and systems."
"At GE, we envision a day when Cancer is no longer a deadly disease. When the disease is as complex and multi-faceted as cancer, solutions need to be equally multi-faceted and even more integrated, combining medical imaging, molecular imaging, healthcare IT and cellular technologies. With technology advances, we can see diseases as we have never seen before and provide most personalized treatment eliminating non-responding treatment protocols. Through this partnership with Max Healthcare, we aim to understand the fingerprint of specific cancers in India and co-develop disruptive solutions" said John Dineen, President& CEO, GE Healthcare.
As one of the most relevant global cancer diagnostic companies, GE is devoting an even greater share of R&D budget (US $ 1 Billion) to continue developing disruptive oncology solutions. Combining Max Healthcare's expertise and experience in tackling cancer presents a fantastic opportunity to advance technology solutions, processes and protocols to set a new standard of cancer care as well as improving access to quality cancer care for more people. The partnership will give emphasis to the following critical areas:
1. Creation of a first of its kind Centre of Excellence for Cancer in India at Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket, Delhi. The Centre will be equipped with the latest technology solutions like medical imaging, molecular diagnostics, healthcare IT solutions to integrate data, processes etc.
2. Collaborative research on cancer care & co-creation of technology solutions
3. Improved access to quality cancer care through Healthcare IT Solutions (example. cloud/mobile health platforms).
4. Decision Support System like virtual tumor board - to virtually surround a patient with multi-disciplinary expertise. Oncologists from Max Healthcare network as well as leading experts from around the world will be available to provide best possible personalized treatment course to each patient
5. Development of innovative cancer specific treatment pathways and protocols to make diagnosis and treatment more efficient.