BSI Awards 2011 Jury agreed to the proposal of instituting the Public-Private Partnership Excellence Award to recognize and encourage innovation
In deep deliberation: BioSpectrum Awards 2011 Jury at work
The jury meeting for the BioSpectrum Awards 2011 took place in Mumbai at the corporate headquarters of Glenmark Pharmaceuticals in October. In line with the tradition that the winner of the previous Person of the Year Award chair the meeting, Mr Glenn Saldanha, chairman and managing director of the company, who was felicitated with the BioSpectrum Person of the Year Award in 2010, played host. This has been the norm since the BioSpectrum awards were conceptualized in 2003.
For the past seven years, the awards have honored achievements and contributions of industry stalwarts and given impetus to companies to leave their mark in the sector. Commenting on India's position in the innovation landscape of the industry, Mr Saldanha said, “Innovation is the way forward for India if it needs to compete with other global companies. However, it will not be a cakewalk.”
The meeting began with BioSpectrum Group Editor Mr Narayanan Suresh giving a brief introduction on the vision and goals of BioSpectrum Awards since its inception in 2003 and the processes to be followed during the course of the meeting. This year too, the jury members deliberated on the shortlisted nominees for each category. They zeroed in on the winners after two hours of discussions on the nominations. The nominees for this year were shortlisted on the basis of their performances over the past 12-18 months (excluding the Lifetime Achievement Award).
Keeping in tune with suggestions of the industry and to encourage innovation in research, BioSpectrum proposed institution of the Public-Private Partnership Excellence Award this year. The award will honour and encourage companies that, along with the government, are involved in novel and revolutionary work. The jury members applauded BioSpectrum for this initiative which could go a long way in encouraging budding entrepreneurs.
Winners were evaluated on the basis of their performances, achievements, their impact in shaping the biotechnology industry in India, role in fostering innovation in their respective companies and the industry at large and impact of their work in the years to come.
The annual awards gala will be hosted in Bangalore in December 2011 and will see a gathering of top-notch stakeholders from all segments of the biotechnology industry. Make sure you are there to congratulate the winners. For invitation to the Award ceremony drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The winners will be profiled in the December issue of the publication.
BIOSPECTRUM JURY AWARDS 2011
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Person of the Year
- Entrepreneur of the Year
- Product of the Year
- Public-Private Partnership Excellence Award
India Market Survey-based
INDUSTRY AWARDS 2011
- BioSpectrum-ABLE BioPharma Company of the Year 2011
- BioSpectrum-ABLE BioIndustrial Company of the Year 2011
- BioSpectrum-ABLE BioServices Company of the Year 2011
- BioSpectrum-ABLE BioAgri Company of the Year 2011
- BioSpectrum-ABLE BioInformatics Company of the Year 2011
- BioSpectrum-ABLE BT School of the Year 2011 (Public)
- BioSpectrum-ABLE BT School of the Year 2011 (Private)
BIOSPECTRUM AWARDS 2011 JURY
Mr Glenn Saldanha
, chairman and MD, Glenmark, & BioSpectrum Person of the Year 2010
- Dr GD Yadav, vice-chancellor, ICT Mumbai
- Dr SD Ravetkar, senior director, Serum Institute of India, Pune
- Mr Vishal Gandhi, vice-president, Life Sciences & Technology, Yes Bank, New Delhi
- Mr Sandeep Sahney, managing director, Genzyme India, Gurgaon
- Mr G Kochu Sankar, vice-president, Strategic Business Unit, Spinco Biotech, Chennai
- Ms Deepanwita Chattopadhyay, MD & CEO, IKP Knowledge Park, & director, IKP Investment Management Company, ICICI Knowledge Park, Hyderabad
- Dr Rashmi Bharbhaiya, CEO, Advinus Therapeutics, Bangalore
- Dr Arun Chandavarkar, COO, Biocon, Bangalore
- Mr Narayanan Suresh, group editor, BioSpectrum
For invitation to the Award ceremony drop a mail to email@example.com