14 - Avinashilingam University for Women
Avinashilingam University for Women was established by Dr T S
Avinashilingam under the Avinashilingam Education Trust in 1957 with 45
students. The college was made autonomous from June 1978 by the
University of Madras. The college was declared as a deemed university
in June 1988 by the University Grants Commission. Dr Rajammal P Devadas
played a vital role in the growth of the university.
Located in Coimbatore, it offers both UG and PG programs. Under the UG
Programs it offers various subjects including animal biotechnology,
plant science and plant biotechnology.
Under the PG Programs, the university offers regular PG courses in MA,
MCom, and MSc. The university also has a wide range of courses offered
as off campus courses and also conducts courses as BEd, MEd, MBA, MSc,
MPhil, PhD. For outstation students there are six hostels with modern
amenities and conveniences.