MD: Melvin Oscar D' Souza
Novo Nordisk continues to be a leader in the Indian insulin market
Novo Nordisk registered biotech revenue of
647.28 crore in 2011-12. With brands such as Levemir, NovoRapid, Novomix 30 and Victoza, Novo Nordisk continues to command more than half the share in the entire Indian insulin market.
Novo Nordisk also commands a strong presence in other segments such as hemostasis management for hemophilia with Novo Seven and growth hormone therapies with its brand Norditropin. Set up in India in 1990, Novo Nordisk has capitalized on its wide range of insulin and insulin delivery devices to gain the leading position in India.
The rise in the number of diabetes cases in India over the last few years has resulted in Novo Nordisk making key efforts for increasing awareness in diabetes management. Novo Nordisk recently extended its Changing Diabetes in Children (CDiC) program to India. This program hopes to create more awareness about diabetes in children by engaging governments and other agencies. The program entails free provision of insulin, blood glucometers and strips for the children. It has also developed a training manual specific to the diagnosis, treatment of diabetes care for children in developing countries. In India, 12 key opinion leaders have been attached to run 12 CDiC clinics covering a total of 10 Indian states, which makes it the most extensive launch till date.
The Gujarat government recently signed an MoU with Novo Nordisk Education Foundation, a non profit organization, to launch the Changing Diabetes Barometer Project. This project aims to undertake a massive diabetes control program, which would include creating mass awareness of diabetes, conducting diabetes screening programs and enabling practical training camps for medical professionals.
||Key strategy initiatives
- Novo Nordisk extended its Changing Diabetes in Children (CDiC) program to India. 12 CDiC clinics covering a total of 10 Indian states will be established.
- Novo Nordisk Education Foundation signed an MoU with the Gujarat government to launch the Changing Diabetes Barometer Project.
- Novo Nordisk has registered 40% growth in its revenues.
- Brands such as Levemir, NovoRapid, Novomix 30 and Victoza have a insulin market share of more than 60%.
- For market expansion, Novo Nordisk is tying up with different governments like Bihar and Gujarat for screening and awareness programs. It will continue to leverage its wide portfolio of insulins to maintain leadership.
- Novo Nordisk will maintain its existing production and marketing partnerships and look for partnering with local companies for research.